Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Self-Made Man



By: Paul Hewitt with Jane Warren

This is a very interesting in-depth recounting of one woman's journey to becoming a man both inside and out. If you have been wondering what goes through the mind of a woman who thinks or believes she is a he and is trapped inside a woman's body, the book bares all.

In fairness to her, she tried to be a woman and even had boyfriends but she came to a point when she felt she is destroying her identity by forcing herself to seem one when her mind is gravitating to the wants and needs of a man.

From her struggles to fit in a woman's world to her process of embracing the person who wants to emerge from a woman's body, Self-Made Man narrates the stage by stage debut of Paul Hewitt who has an identical twin sister and they are both beautiful and well-endowed on the chest. She gave it all up for a psychological certificate that she is in fact a man, male hormone treatments, and a double mastectomy to complete the desired masculine look. Reading Paul's diary, I found myself feeling sad of the pains and sufferings he had to go through and laughing of his experiences while doing the sex change.

When I bought the book, I only glanced at the title and thought I'll be reading another Og Mandino inspiring story. I didn't know it was literally about a woman making herself into a man. But, I'm glad I read it because I became more understanding of lesbians. They are not as freaky as most straight people think. They are still human beings deserving of respect and equal rights from fellow human beings. In all honesty, it washed away the iffiness I've always felt towards lesbians. I have a sister who is one and ever since that book, I can only think of her as my sister who happens to have a different orientation of her sexuality. She also tried very hard to be feminine but it was all very awkward until she chose to be who she really is...and that is being a he.

Publisher: Trafalgar Square Publishing
ISBN-10: 0747249989
ISBN-13: 978-0747249986
First Printing: 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment